Whilst I’m not personally a fan of New Year’s Resolutions, preferring instead to adopt a mindset of continuous improvement, the end of a calendar year is as good a time as any to do a 12 month retrospective and think about the future.
Below are a number of resources you may find helpful to make 2019 your best year yet, along with some of the things I’m currently learning/implementing in my quest for personal development.
2018 Book List
These are some of the books I read in 2018 that I found helpful and that have influenced my thinking and personal growth:
- Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual (Jocko Willink). Learn to understand that discipline in the present gives you more freedom in the future.
- The Inner Game of Tennis (W. Timothy Gallwey). More about physical development/performance but the ideas transcend into anything you want to learn.
- Man's Search for Meaning (Viktor E. Frankl). Harrowing account of Nazi concentration camps infused with what it means to have real meaning in your life.
- Principles: Life and Work (Ray Dalio). Ray Dalio is the founder of one of the biggest and highest performing hedge funds in the world, this book shows the life and work principles the author has developed and also introduces the fascinating idea that you can run your life based on a set of your own written down principles.
- Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win (Jocko Willink & Leif Babin). This should be required reading for anyone managing/leading other people, and for anyone wanting to feel like they are more in control of their life by not making excuses.
Personal Growth Podcasts
My 4 go-to podcasts (in no particular order) for physical, mental, and career growth:
- Jocko Podcast. Leadership, discipline, inspiration, service.
- Mind Pump Media Podcast. Fitness, health, weight lifting, entertainment.
- Ben Greenfield Fitness Podcast. Health, wellness, spirituality, self quantification, living your best life.
- The Tim Ferriss Show. Interviews with world class performers
Don’t Code Tired Articles
The following are articles on this blog:
What I’m Working On Implementing At the Moment
These are things I’m trialling, working on implementing, working on improving, or plan to implement in the near future:
- Regular daily meditation (I’m currently trying the Mindvalley 6 Phase Meditation Quest)
- Early to bed, early to rise (somewhere between 4:30 AM and 6AM – not sure yet) Effectively swapping some mindless TV/YouTube/XBox gaming at night for productive time in the morning.
- Learning to deadlift and working on flexibility to allow my to do this
- Generally: reducing waste, simplification, balanced minimalism in regards to ownership of things, saving/investing more money, reading more, learning more.
Living Your Best Life
I hope the preceding things prove to be useful, inspirational, or interesting to you.
I wish you all the best for the coming year and hope that your 2019 brings you closer to being able to live your best life.
Best wishes, Jason.