One hobby I have is music production (based around a Pro Tools LE 8 setup) and recently I've been learning some music theory. I have created a cheat sheet which is on my wall to assist with working out scale degrees, etc. Why do it by hand when a computer can do it for you, eh?
Thought this would make a good Silverlight project as ideally I'd like to be able to visualise a chord on a piano keyboard or a guitar fretboard.
Functionality would be something like:
Choose a scale - Major or (natural) Minor;
- Choose a scale root note (as a dropdown or better by directly interacting with piano keyboard);
- Show all the notes in the scale (initially visualised on piano keyboard);
- Show the scale degrees and chords for the given key;
- Show the common chord progressions in the key;
- Add guitar fretboard vis;
- Add harmonic minor scales;
- Add modal functionality;
- Play sound samples of notes & chords;
The application will be a standalone client app, i.e. no WCF backend services, etc. It will be designed using TDD and using Expression Blend where appropriate (with the Blend service pack it extends the trial period to 60 days). As I can't think of a good name off the top of my head, i'll call the app SilverKeys...