In my many years of being a software developer there’s one thing that I’ve seemed to have experienced on and off throughout this time: Fear.
- Not knowing the latest language/framework/architecture
- Falling “behind” everyone else
- Not being the best
- Not being as good as others
- Being wrong
- Making mistakes
- Looking stupid
- Not being able to learn future technology X
This list could go on…
I’m not alone in these feelings. I have been told the same by, or seen this trait in, other developers I’ve worked with over the years.
We don’t have to be super heroes
So what can we do as a community of developers for us all to feel happier and more fulfilled?
I think if we want to make our professional community better we can start by learning to gives ourselves a break.
Here’s five ways we might be able to do this, feel free to disagree or add your own ideas in the comments section.
1. You Don’t Have To Wear A Cape
We don’t have to be super heroes.